Monday, July 12, 2010

HH - The Old Fashioned

Up this week is the Old Fashioned in downtown Madison...

The O.F. lists two burgers on their menu:
No. 30
The Old Fashioned House Burger-grilled over a live fire and topped with fried onions, Bavaria's hickory-smoked bacon, aged Cheddar, garlic sauce and a soft-cooked egg on a buttered and toasted roll..........................................................$8.95

No. 31
Build Your Own Burger-with lettuce, fried or raw onions, pickles and choice of spread: mayo, smoked Spanish paprika, roasted garlic, ranch, tiger or tiger blue sauce.............................$5.95 Add Cheddar, Swiss, Colby, Muenster, Blue or Pepperjack cheese....................................$1.00 Add fried egg, bacon or Braunschweiger.......$1.25

Both burgers are served with  choice of fries, tossed green salad or substitute
Haystack onion strings $1.00
Herbed potato salad from Porchlight $2.00
House-made fresh Wisconsin beer-battered cheese curds $3.00

The plan is for the group to order carry-out and have the taste test out on the cap. lawn during Concerts on the Square.  Two attendees already say O.F. serves the best burger they have ever had in their entire life...so...expectations are high.  

Check back in on Wednesday night / Thursday morning to see the results posted in the comments thread of this post.  

5 comments:

  1. The staff handled the the large carry out order like pro's. It was ready right when I arrived and the order was exactly correct. For me, the standout of the night was the Tiger Blue sauce/bacon/raw onion combo. My scores are below:

    a. The Patty - 4 - I ordered it medium, but it was on the darker side. I think this was due to getting it carry out, with perhaps too much time sitting before I dug in. The flavor was great and the size was just right.

    b. The Toppings - 5 - the combo of bacon/onion/tiger blue sauce was a knockout. I am a huge fan of the thick, salty, meaty flavor... and this combo delivered.

    c. The Atmosphere - n/a Since we ate at the concerts on the square, I can't really comment on the OF atmosphere.

    d. The Sides - 4 - I had the standard side: Fries. They were slightly cool, again probably due to carry-out. Negating the temp of the fries, the size of the cut was nice and the salt level seemed right on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great night - thanks again Nicci for coordinating the carryout order!

    I had the #31 (build your own) medium rare with pepperjack, raw onion, bacon and tiger sauce, with a side of fries.

    a. The Patty - 3. I ordered medium rare and it was barely pink. This was a huge carryout order, but I like my burgers closer to mooing.

    b. The Toppings - 4. My slice of pepperjack was larger than the burger with 2 nice slices of bacon. My favorite was the tiger sauce!! I love this sauce with the curds and wanted to try it on a burger. Definitely a good choice.

    c. The Atmosphere - n/a (since we didn't eat inside). I do love the Old Fashioned and typically bring my out of town guest here after touring the square. You have to love a place with Blatz on tap for $1.75 - my Grandpa was a huge Blatz drinker and we always raise a glass when we're at the Old Fashioned. It is almost always busy in there and can feel rather frantic, especially if you're standing in the bar area.

    d. The Sides 4. My fries were pretty standard and tasty. I rounded my points up for the Old Fashioned putting together a to-go package including cups of ketchup for the fries.

    On a side note, my grading score from last night still smells like bug spray when I pulled it out of my purse!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a number 31 medium-well with Mayo and pepperjack.

    The Patty - 4 - Very Tasty
    The Toppings - 4 Good Pickles
    The Atmosphere - A little loud :)
    The Sides - 4 - Fries were great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off - can't beat the atmosphere. Other than the fact that it was incredibly hot, what a wonderful evening with some wonderful people.

    #30 Med-Rare with Onion Strings

    a. The Patty - 5 - A perfect medium rare. Browned on the outside, pink through the middle. Not a touch of red, but not over completely cooked through.

    b. Toppings - 5 - Amazing bacon and an egg - still runny. Beef, pork and poultry - what more do I need? Maybe some lamb next time...

    c. Atmosphere - n/a

    d. Sides - 3 Haystack was good, but no flavor to them. They need some extra spice or something . . . Very edible, but simply overwhelmed by the burger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From JoAnna
    A. Patty--good but needed more taste.4
    B. Toppings. The garlic ranch sauce was great but the bun did not hold up very well. 5
    C. Atmosphere--the best. 5
    D. Sides. The potato salad did not have much zing. Need to have the flavors meld more. 3

    ReplyDelete